Electric ovens have been around for quite some time. However, it is not difficult to assume that they consume a lot of electricity. No wonder utility bills end up rising. But what are the actual consumption volumes?
In fact, such systems consume a lot of resources. On average, this figure is 2.3 kilowatts per hour.
The total cost of the service depends on the country, region of residence, or rather, on the tariff set for electricity in a particular area. However, manufacturers continue to produce top-performing models every year, and users can take steps to reduce the energy cost of using the oven.
Does the oven use a lot of electricity?
Yes, this is always or almost always the case. This is due to the fact that the appliance needs a large amount of electricity during the creation of high temperatures required for baking, frying, stewing, boiling, and other cooking options.
Each time the oven is started, it directs electricity through its heating elements, which in practice are characterized by increased electrical resistance. Then they become hot, turn red, and the temperature of the oven rises.
Electric ovens are among the household appliances that consume a lot of electricity in the home. They require a decent flow to function smoothly, for this reason even a wall outlet needs a special one. Compared to other appliances used in the home, it requires a special 220-volt outlet, which is twice the voltage compared to conventional 110-volt outlets that are commonly used for other household appliances.
However, only when using electric ovens is there an increased consumption of electricity. If we talk about gas-type models, the consumption here is an order of magnitude less. Such furnaces generate heat by burning gas, and not by consuming electricity.
How much electricity does the oven use?
A standard household oven assumes a consumption, as already noted, of about 2.3 kW / h, although in practice this figure can reach 2.5. These parameters are observed during normal operation of the system. In this case, the monthly consumption is 75 kWh.
However, it is always worth remembering that electric type ovens consume energy at different levels. So, for example, a large device consumes more power to provide a high temperature. An important role is played by the fact that using the self-cleaning option, if it is in your device, requires a huge amount of electricity to achieve the required extreme temperatures. In this case, the consumption rate can reach 6 kWh.
Indirect use of electrical energy
Regardless of whether the oven is gas or electric, it is also worth knowing that it can consume electricity indirectly. For example, the owner of a house cools it down using an air conditioner. In this case, the time of using the oven does not play a role, the temperature will still rise.
This means that the AC system will have to run much longer to cool the room. It is logical to assume that this will lead to an increase in regular electricity consumption.
How does electricity work in an oven?
Both gas and electric systems consume electricity to power the following components:
- control boards of electronic type;
- special panels;
- lighting systems;
All these types of furnaces are different from each other in terms of heat generation. Gas devices produce it using gas burners. Models of the electric type, in turn, use heating elements that consume more. The higher the temperature selected by the user, the more electricity will be consumed.
How can you save energy when using an oven?
Electrical systems, as already noted, use a fairly large amount of electricity. However, there are many ways to effectively use the oven in order to avoid unnecessary waste of energy. So, you can use the following methods:
- rare cooking in large volumes, if there is a lot of space in the oven, you just need to plan this process in advance and cook several different dishes at the same time;
- refusal to open the door, because each time in this case the system loses heat, and more resource is needed to restore it, to monitor the cooking process, it is enough just to look inside through the glass;
- maintenance on a regular basis to ensure the most efficient operation of the devices, periodic cleaning of dirt in the form of food residues is required;
- the use of glassware and ceramics, of course, it can be more expensive, but the cost fully pays for itself due to the efficient distribution of heat for cooking;
- turning on the self-cleaning mode, it is popular in modern ovens but requires the use of extreme temperatures, it is enough to wait for the oven to heat up and turn on the appropriate mode.
How to buy an energy-saving stove?
The best way to reduce power consumption is to be more careful when purchasing a new device. Today, manufacturers offer many models that work as efficiently as possible. You can find them if you follow these guidelines:
- purchase a convection-type oven, usually it has a fan and an exhaust system, which is absent in standard models, such mechanisms improve ventilation processes and ensure efficient cooking;
- choose an oven equipped with a self-cleaning function, whether it is to be used or not, as such systems are well insulated and work extremely efficiently;
- look for labels that indicate performance indicators, these are Energy Star elements, as well as Energy Guide, they will help make sure that the stove is really of high quality;
- It is also necessary to check the capacity without fail, probably the user will find several offers with low power consumption, but it is best to compare all their technical characteristics.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does a gas stove use electricity?
Yes, but the volume of consumption is insignificant. Gas ovens need it in order to provide power to the main control boards, panels, as well as the operation of ventilation and lighting systems.
How energy efficient is leaving the oven on?
This is a fairly effective step when the user cooks several dishes at the same time. After all, the device will not spend electricity on reheating, because it will always be hot, and you can immediately start cooking the next dish.
Is it better to use a gas oven?
Yes, in general it is more energy efficient compared to a model that uses gas to operate. But it is not as convenient as the electrical system, since in this case you will definitely have to run a gas line into the house, which involves paying a separate bill every month. As for the electrical fixture, it only involves adding a certain amount to the existing electricity bill.
How optimal are electric ovens?
They are good, and over time, as new technologies appear, they become even better, because manufacturers understand that consumers are becoming more demanding in terms of electricity. So, they are forced to compete with each other, producing more powerful and economical units.
Are electric ovens expensive to use?
Not necessary if you purchase an energy efficient model that will save you a significant amount of money in the long run. It is also worth learning how to properly operate and maintain the system.