These days, the specifics of TV power consumption can be somewhat problematic. Therefore, it is necessary to give the most important tips for the daily operation of the most popular brands of equipment of this type with a brief description of the features of their power supply.
The number of amperes consumed by a household appliance
A typical American TV device measures fifty inches diagonally and typically draws 0.95 A at 120 V. This equates to an average power consumption of 113 watts.
Now equipment for this purpose consumes 142 kW / h, costs about $ 120, and is used for approximately five hours a day.
It is necessary to know the size of the TV receiver in order to determine how much current it will need during operation. Small options take less electricity, and large ones, of course, more.
This is due to the fact that large equipment needs a powerful power supply. A traditional 85-inch household appliance needs 400 watts or more, while a 43-inch appliance only needs 100 watts.
Since large devices need more current, then you need to understand its physical designations.
Amps, watts and volts
You should not go headlong into science and go into the essence of each designation. There are many resources where everything is explained in detail. It is only required to clearly fix that the current strength in amperes is equal to the power in watts divided by the voltage in volts.
In an ordinary American apartment, electricity in a socket implies the use of 120 V. Therefore, knowing that such a component of the equation is a constant, then the power in watts determines the number of amperes to supply equipment. The more W used, the stronger the current.
Larger and less electrically efficient TV receivers take more power. For example, a fifty-inch Sony X80J needs 146 watts. When divided by 120 volts, 1.22 A will come out. A similar figure is twice that of the corresponding size TCL fourth series, which needs 79 watts.
Electricity consumption will inevitably affect the wallet. Therefore, Sony will cost almost twice as much as the entire power supply of TCL.
But the costs in general will be too high, no matter what TV is installed in the house. There are many different criteria that add up to the total cost of powering equipment.
Factors affecting the price of electricity for a household appliance
If someone carefully monitors changes in TV devices over the past 10 years, then he noticed a yellow sticker with a designation of the amount of energy. It should be placed by law and it indicates how much electricity is required for this technique and how much the owner will pay for its power for twelve months.
The information on these labels on any household appliances is based on value judgments only. There are a large number of parameters that increase or decrease their overall energy consumption.
- First, you should calculate the number of hours of television viewing per day. All electricity costs are estimated at the rate of five hours of use of the TV device per day. If it is used for more or less time, the costs will vary. But even if its owner watches a movie as much as 10 hours a day, then his annual bills still won’t even amount to a hundred dollars.
- Tariffs for utilities and energy. The amount that you have to pay for electricity is largely related to where a person lives. It also matters what sources of energy it has. The average bill in the US is 11 cents per kWh. In fact, the costs will be more or less.
- Equipment settings. The current consumption instruction assumes the costs provided by the TV receiver’s default picture settings. They almost always require less electricity than in normal use.
- The most important setting of the TV is the contrast and brightness. The more intense they are, the more energy the device needs and the higher the cost of paying for it.
- The energy-saving mode provided on a number of household appliances must be turned on. Through the use of automation, he adjusts their settings so that they are the most comfortable for viewing and electricity costs.
- Reduce the volume or mute the sound of the TV receiver when advertising. Then you don’t have to spend extra energy at a time when no one is looking at the screen anyway. In addition, this setting contributes to the mood for a quiet night’s rest.
- Sleep timer programming. Such a setting is perfect for those who can doze off while broadcasting a movie or series. The TV will continue to work for a long time. With the use of this device, it will turn itself off.
The average TV set size in the US is a full fifty inches, up from 23 in the late 1990s. But you should know how many amperes a household appliance of such dimensions requires.
A typical device with similar parameters needs about 0.95 A at 120 V. This corresponds to an average power of 113 watts. During the year, fifty-inch appliances cost only $ 17 for electricity (142 kW / h for twelve months at 11 cents). Large TV receivers draw more watts and need more current.
An ampere is calculated as the ratio of watts to volts, and in the US the latter is always 120.
Electricity costs are also linked to a range of criteria, including local utility and electricity rates, TV installations, and the number of hours of daily viewing.
Therefore, the annual traditional cost of enjoying TV series and films varies significantly among people. But even at twice the national average, they pay no more than $34 for 12 months. Not a bad indicator at all.