Many families in all regions use dishwashers that are powered by the electrical system at home. Such units have both advantages and some disadvantages. Are all dishwashing machines equipped in this way or are there other options?
Indeed, not all units are wired. There are a number of models that include an electrical cord plus a plug with 3 pins. Such a household unit can be easily connected to a household wall outlet, of which there are several in each apartment or house. That is, if desired, it is not difficult to convert a wired dishwashing machine into a household plug-in unit. To do this, it is enough to purchase and install an electrical cable for power from the outlet.
Do consumers only use corded dishwashers?
Varieties of wired dishwashers are far from the only range of household goods in modern household appliances stores for housewives. Some models of this direction are intended not only for a wired connection. There are a lot of units, which include an electrical cable and a plug that is suitable for a regular household outlet.
But you should know that dishwashers are universal in terms of the way they connect to the electrical network. Despite the existing power source in the house, when purchasing a dishwashing machine, you can purchase a set of accessories and accessories with which you can easily power the unit from a wall outlet, like all other household appliances.
When it comes time to decide on the power supply of the dishwasher, you should take into account the power supply standards established in the region and directly in the house. As well as the state of the entire power supply system of the apartment, entrance, house. Its reliability and technical characteristics.
In some cases, it is prescribed to connect the dishwashing unit to the main (main) electrical cable coming from the electrical panel of the entrance or house. And sometimes you can connect to the power circuit through a regular household wall outlet.
Useful advice: it is always necessary to strictly observe and comply with all electrical safety rules. This will help not only to avoid emergency situations, but also not to be subject to penalties for violating the rules for using electricity.
If there are any questions on this topic, it is best to call a qualified electrician. He will not only give good advice but also help you connect the dishwasher in compliance with all the requirements and rules.
What is a corded dishwasher?
This is such a home unit that can be connected directly to the electrical network of the house. That is, there should be a direct connection of the cord of the machine to the main electrical cable at home. In this case, the receipt of electricity takes place without the participation of the outlet. The wiring goes from the back stack of the machine to the main electrical panel of the entrance or house, which can be turned on / off by means of an automatic power supply regulator (knife switch). This type of connection has both pluses and minuses.
Advantages of a corded dishwasher
The main advantages include:
- maintaining cleanliness. The whole unit has a compact appearance. There are no extra wires, sockets, containers next to the machine. The power cord goes directly into the wall, where it is connected to the main cable coming from the electrical panel of the house or entrance;
- no need to install an electrical outlet. Direct connection to the general household electrical network makes it possible to use the dishwasher without unnecessary wires and devices. No need to call the master to install new sockets in the house or apartment;
Disadvantages of a wired dishwashing machine
The disadvantages include the following factors:
- the need to use the services of an electrician. The process of connecting to the main electrical network at home requires certain knowledge and skills. This is where professional help is needed. In addition, the whole range of work on connecting dishwasher assistance will take time and certain material costs. If you get down to business on your own, then you need to be prepared for long laborious work with house wiring hidden in the wall.
- location of the on/off switch away from the unit. To regulate the power supply, it is necessary to overcome a certain distance. This is especially inconvenient when repairing or maintaining a dishwasher, replacing it, or buying a new one. You have to walk to the shield and back to turn the unit on / off. This requires physical strength and will entail unnecessary time costs;
- machine placement is a constant factor. Install and dismantle the dishwasher only with the participation and assistance of an electrician. He will be able to correctly connect/disconnect the household unit, move it from place to place without breaking the power supply chain at home. To do all this on your own, you will need knowledge, skills, and experience in similar work.
What is a plug-in dishwasher?
The dishwasher to be connected must be equipped with a cord and plug for direct connection to an electrical outlet. If necessary, the device can be turned on / off at any time. This is especially important when servicing or repairing an electrical appliance.
But such models have both pluses and minuses, which are presented below.
Advantages or pros of a dishwasher with a plug-in cable
The advantages of using a dishwasher with a plug-in cord in everyday life include the following factors:
- the ability to quickly connect / disconnect. It is very convenient to use the unit. After the purchase and delivery of such a machine, you can immediately connect the unit to a household wall outlet, and after washing the dishes, just as easily and quickly disconnect the machine from the mains. During maintenance or repair, you do not have to travel the distance to the main electrical panel and back to turn on / off the device, which is very convenient and does not require additional time;
- installation, dismantling, moving, replacement of the dishwashing machine is carried out on their own. This is very convenient and low cost, especially when it will be necessary to install the dishwasher in a new place or replace it with another new model. You do not have to call an electrician, which will require extra time and new material costs. It is enough just to turn off the household appliance and unplug the cord from the outlet.
Disadvantages and cons of a connected dishwashing machine
The disadvantages of such a model include:
- the need to have a wall outlet. It will be required to connect the unit to the mains. Many kitchens are already equipped with the entire electrical system. But in new apartments or houses in the process of construction and equipment, such sockets may not be available. In this case, you will have to call an electrician and mount new sockets in the wall to connect the dishwasher. And this will entail new costs of time and material resources.
- household wall socket must be mounted in compliance with all rules and regulations. These requirements must be observed in order not to damage not only the dishwasher itself, but also the entire general electrical wiring of the house. As a rule, the socket for powering the unit should be placed next to the machine in a special cabinet above it. The plug must be freely accessible.
- restriction of access to the dishwasher. This condition is explained by the length of the cord of the unit. Moving it to a greater distance from the outlet will not work. Ideally, the dishwasher should be located near the outlet.
Is it possible to convert a wired dishwasher into a plug-in household appliance?
A corded dishwashing machine can be converted into a unit using a plug to connect to a power outlet. Let’s say that there is a wired dishwasher that needs to be converted and used at home by connecting to a wall outlet. This process includes 3 steps:
- Prepare a suitable wall outlet. As a rule, in homes, a standard outlet in the kitchen already allows the possibility of connecting a dishwasher. In cases where there is none or the house is under construction, it is necessary to install such an electrical connection point.
Helpful Hint: Always follow existing electrical codes and regulations when equipping outlets for connecting dishwashers.
- Preparation or equipment of a dedicated circuit with safe wiring. It should be remembered that dishwashers are high-power electrical appliances that work for a long time. Therefore, the electrical outlet to which you want to connect must be located on a dedicated electrical circuit with safe wiring that is not harmful or dangerous for frequent use. In this case, cables and wires will not be subject to overheating, circuit breakers will not be overloaded.
- Connecting the cord and plug to the machine. The entire power supply system of the unit must be converted to a new circuit. There must be access to the electrical box of the unit, its connection to the plug with a cord. For these purposes, it is possible to easily find or purchase a universal household set of electrical accessories and parts. Typically, it consists of a high quality cable and a three-prong plug that must fit into an existing household outlet. This kit must be connected to the electrical system of the dishwasher.
After the simple manipulations listed above, the wired dishwashing module turns into a machine that can be connected to a household wall outlet and used for a long time.