If the Chamberlain garage door mechanism is not working, or the remote control has been lost or stolen, you will need to reset the settings.
The user has several options for how to do this, the most common schemes will be discussed in the article.
Features of the procedure
All that is required of the user is to reset the opener by pressing and holding the Learn button directly on the motor housing for 6 seconds until the LED type indicator goes off.
As soon as this happens, all codes will be erased. You can confirm the action using the remote control.
This is the first action to take. All that is required from the user is just to press the learning button. It is usually located behind the housing on the motor. The latest models also have a built-in LED type indicator near this button. It is enough to press and hold it, the average time is 6 seconds. After that, the LED will turn off and the codes will be erased again.
To make sure that the procedure associated with the reboot was successful, you just need to use the remote control. It was originally programmed to open garage doors. There is usually no reaction from the door. You can stay away from this system because it can open and close when you turn on new systems.
Reconnecting the remote control
After restarting the mechanism, it is necessary to activate the remote control again. The number and order of actions will be determined by the model of the opener, as well as the color of the button called “Learn” right on it.
To act again, you must perform the following steps.
- Remove the metal clip directly from the remote, which will reveal a button on the back of the central part of the remote. If we talk about more modern models, in them the reset button can be located on the front or on the side of the remote control.
- Pressing this button requires the use of a metal clip.
- Now it remains only to see the LED indicator on the panel located in front.
Further, the order of events depends on the specific model, which may be new or old. Below is a common algorithm of actions for new devices, at least for a start.
- Press and then release the learning button on your garage door opener. Next, the corresponding LED on the panel will definitely light up.
- During the 30-second period, you must press and release the button on the remote control, which will be used later.
- Then it is worth checking if the light on the opening device is flashing, otherwise you will have to wait for the LED indicator of the remote control to light up with a constant light. And finally, then again you need to slowly press and release the button. In simple terms, you will have to repeat the action performed earlier.
- It is necessary to repeat until the lamp starts flashing. After that, it is no longer possible to press the button, otherwise undesirable consequences may occur!
For new models, the algorithm of actions is different, here is a detailed list of them.
- After completing the first three steps, you need to determine the exact color of the Learn button on the motor housing. It is necessary to press and release the remote control button to be programmed.
- After pressing this button, you need to do the same, but with another button, and one-time, now the LED on the remote control will go out.
- Then, on the motor housing, you need to press and release the learning button.
- Next, it remains to press the button on the remote control that has been programmed, and the light will blink. It will be necessary to click on it again, and the gate will open or close.
Following this instruction is not difficult if you act consistently and gradually. There is no need to make hasty decisions, it is advisable to think everything over and strictly follow the principles described in the manual.
To program it, follow the instructions below:
- press “learn”, this button, as noted earlier, is located directly on the body of the electric motor;
- wait for the LED to light up, indicating that the user has 30 seconds to configure the keyboard;
- enter a code of 4 characters, press “enter” and hold until a click appears and the lamp flashes;
- press “enter” and wait for the full closing of the gate;
- then display the code again and press “enter”.
Sometimes these instructions work for several days, although in the end the keyboard still stops functioning and interferes with other remote controls that are present in cars.
If this happens to you, you need to make settings, below is a detailed instruction on how to act to minimize the negative consequences:
- press and hold the “*” and “#” keys on the keyboard until the indicators stop flashing;
- enter the code;
- click on the bars;
- click on the enter button as many times as required, it depends on the color of the learning button;
- press “0” on the keyboard to exit the programming mode;
- go to the body of the electric motor and press “learn” once, the LED on the body will continue to burn, and the user will have an additional 30 seconds for the next step;
- it remains to return to the keyboard and then enter the code again.
As a result, everything should be ready. The user is required to check the keyboard and make sure that everything in it functions as correctly as possible.
Support and guides
If, while following the instructions, you suddenly had to get stuck at some stages, you should refer to the manual compiled for a specific model. If you do not have information about its full name, you just need to go to the engine body located on the garage door to find a sticker on the side with all the numbers.