LG home appliances are popular all over the world and washing machines are no exception. They are distinguished by convenient functionality, high build quality, and durable operation. But, like any technique, LG machines can also “act up” and fail over time. Today we will consider the 5 most common problems of LG brand washing machines that owners of such equipment most often face. You will also learn how to deal with them yourself.
Drain stopped working
After about 4-6 years of operation, many are faced with the problem of a non-working drain. The machine stops working properly, and the drainage system causes a lot of inconvenience. Before calling the wizard, you can try to solve the problem yourself.
Most often, the problem is in the drain pump itself. Over the years of operation, small particles, threads, some kind of debris can enter the pump, which leads to its malfunction in the future. You can understand whether this is so by the characteristic noise. When the drain is turned on, the pump starts to make noise louder than usual. This is the first symptom that the pump is about to break down. Do not ignore these sounds, you can prevent damage.
To do this, you need to access the pump to exclude or confirm this version. Obstacles in it can be removed independently. And if that doesn’t help, you’ll have to change the part.
To find the drain pump in the LG washing machine and repair or replace it, you need to follow the algorithm:
- Disconnect the machine from the network.
- Remove the bottom screws holding the top.
- Pull the upper part 2-3 cm, lift and remove from the machine.
- Remove the powder compartment and unscrew the screws holding this housing.
- Unscrew the screw to the right of the control panel (if any).
- Remove the control panel and put on top of the machine.
- Open the door in the lower left corner and put it aside.
- Remove the drain hose and remove the remaining water, put it aside.
- Loosen the screw under the drain hole.
- Unscrew the screw holding the front panel.
- Open the machine door and remove the fasteners holding the bellows.
- Remove the cover from the front panel and insert it into the washer hole.
- Disconnect the wires from the bottom of the door lock.
- Close the machine door, unscrew the screws at the top while holding the front panel.
- Remove the front panel, set aside.
- Disconnect the hoses from the drain pump.
- Loosen and remove the screws from the front panel that hold the pump.
- Raise the pump to disconnect the wires, they can be marked or simply remembered.
- Loosen the screws holding the motor in the pump housing.
- Replace the pump motor, assemble the machine, following the algorithm in reverse order.
Most often, the cause of a non-working drain is precisely the burned-out pump motor. Sometimes these are simply particles that enter the pump and can be removed. The operation of the machine will be restored, the drain will work as expected.
Another problem with LG washing machines is that the wires connected to the motor are broken or disconnected. During operation, there is a strong vibration inside the machine, which can lead to connection problems. The wires can break, then the connection between the control board and the motor is broken. “Symptoms” – strange sounds during the spin cycle.
To fix the breakdown, you need to gain access to the engine of the machine. Usually a visual inspection is enough to assess the condition of the wires, check the connections. If there are broken, burnt or disconnected wires, then you need to replace them with new ones.
Position sensor wire broken
The position sensor is required for communication with the control board. It is he who sends the exact position of the engine of the machine and in which case a warning error code will appear on the panel. If the wire connecting these two parts is disconnected, broken, or fails for some reason, the washing machine will not work correctly.
To fix the problem, you need to find the very wire leading to the position sensor, check it, replace it with a new one if necessary, or repair the old one, if possible.
It’s easy to replace it. First you need to disconnect the machine from the power supply, turn off the water and disconnect the hoses. Next, you need to tilt the machine back a little and lay it on the back panel. After that, you can start the main work:
- Unscrew the rotor fastening nut and remove the assembly.
- Remove the fixing bolts from the stator using a socket.
- Disconnect broken wires and replace them with new ones.
- Assemble the machine, connect and check.
After these manipulations, the LG washing machine should work like new. There will be no errors on the panel, there will be no extraneous noise.
Water valve not closing
If you notice that the machine is overflowing with water, most likely the water supply valve has remained in the open position. This may be due to scale and calcium buildup in the solenoid valve. Obstacles do not allow him to return to the closed position upon completion of work, and water continues to flow into the machine, overflowing it. Such a problem can occur even when the technique is turned off.
If the next day after washing in the machine you find water in the drum, most likely there is a problem with the inlet valve. So the first thing to do is check it out. In LG machines, such a breakdown occurs very often after several years of operation.
You can fix the problem yourself, but for this you will have to disassemble the machine a little. If you are not sure that you can do it yourself, it is better to contact a specialist so as not to aggravate the malfunction.
First you need to disconnect the equipment from the network, turn off the water. Next, remove the hoses from the inlet valve, be prepared for water to pour out, so prepare a rag. After that, you need to unscrew the rear screws of the upper part and move it back a couple of centimeters. After that, the lid must be lifted and set aside.
Next comes the hardest part:
- Mark the wires leading to the old valve so that they can be connected correctly later.
- Using pliers, you need to remove the hoses, they also need to be marked so as not to be confused.
- Loosen the screws holding the valve.
- Replace the old valve with a new one.
- Connect the wires and assemble the machine back.
These simple manipulations will fix the problem that has arisen, and the machine will no longer overflow with water. The inlet valve will work correctly, close and open in a timely manner.
Washing machine inlet valve leaking water onto the floor
Another problem with LG washing machines is that the inlet valve starts to leak water onto the floor. If you begin to notice a puddle, you need to fix the problem. First, determine whether water is leaking from a hot or cold inlet valve.
Due to the fact that the water supply lines are constantly under pressure, while the valves are also worn out, they will not be able to adequately hold water. For this reason, water begins to leak.
Fixing the problem is quite simple. First you need to make sure that the hoses are not loose and tightened well, otherwise you can just try to tighten them and the problem will be solved. If the leak does not disappear, you will most likely have to change the inlet valve, as described above.
If you encounter one of these problems, our tips will help you quickly fix your LG washing machine problems. If you manage to do everything yourself, then you will save a round sum on calling the master and repair. If you are not sure that you can disassemble and assemble the equipment, then it is better to trust the specialists so that a serious breakdown does not turn out of a small failure.